About the Dover Group
The Dover Group is a boutique political consulting firm that specializes in direct mail and digital communications on behalf of progressive candidates, organizations, and causes.
During the 2022 election cycle, The Dover Group is working to help our clients win races across the country by providing them with creative messaging, decades of production experience, cutting-edge tactics, and unrivaled customer service.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Statement
Our goal is to build a team that is as diverse as the candidates we work to elect and the constituents they serve. We promote diversity in hiring from the earliest stages of the recruitment process by engaging diverse applicants through partnerships with external organizations that serve candidates who are traditionally underrepresented in the industry. We strive to create a culture of inclusion and belonging by making space for open communication and fostering trust with staff at all levels. Our DEI efforts include an active DEI committee that is empowered to make change.
At The Dover Group, we also believe that representation matters. That’s why we’re committed to continuing to make history by electing people of color, women, and LGBTQ+ Americans, changing the face of leadership to reflect the diversity of people who live in their districts.
Employee Value Statement
At the Dover Group we put a premium on creating a uniquely positive work environment for our employees, whether in the office or working remotely. Our employees value the work they do and the change that they help to make. They take pride in their work, and we strive to create a friendly, positive, and supportive work environment. We place a high importance on professional development as well as personal autonomy and schedule flexibility so that our employees can take care of themselves, their families, and their lives.
Direct Mail Copywriter
We are seeking talented copywriters who can write compelling, persuasive direct mail copy for Democratic political clients. Additional projects could include writing copy for campaign literature, emails, and digital ads.
Writing opportunities include both temporary full-time and freelance positions (through November 2022).
As a part of The Dover Group’s creative team, the copywriter will report to the Chief Creative Officer and will work with graphic designers, other copywriters, the production team, and senior staff members to produce work that is consistent with The Dover Group’s history of award-winning direct mail.
Our writers should be creative, detail-oriented, and comfortable managing several projects at once. We work in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment, sometimes with irregular hours.
The Dover Group believes that diverse voices have been historically underrepresented in political consulting and that our work is more creative and has a greater impact when it’s informed by a variety of perspectives. We strongly encourage Black, Hispanic, Native American, LGBTQA+, people with disabilities, veterans, and other minority candidates to apply.
• Produce content for compelling political communications, most frequently direct mail
• Develop unique mail concepts tailored to each client’s story, voice, and strategic objectives
• Use polling data and other research to craft copy that is strategic and targeted
• Work collaboratively with other members of the creative team to produce the best possible mail
• Proactively communicate with relevant team members as needed (including people working in other office locations)
• Track your work closely to ensure you meet deadlines and nothing falls through the cracks
• The Dover Group is a 100% vaccinated firm. Proof of COVID-19 vaccination is required.
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in copywriting
• At least one year working in-house as a copywriter for advertising, marketing, or public relations firm in any industry
• Democratic political communications experience preferred
• Excellent organizational skills
• Relentless attention to detail
• Flexible schedule and willingness to work irregular hours, including evenings and weekends during the peak of the campaign season
• Please find a way to mention the phrase “big mac” in your cover letter
• The Dover Group is an equal opportunity employer
• The Dover Group is currently 100% remote, so this position will be remote for the time being. However, a successful applicant will have the option of working from a Dover Group office should the firm return to regular office hours.
• Job training provided
• Salary $45,000 – $65,000 per year, commensurate with experience
• The Dover Group provides additional stipend support for health insurance costs
To apply, send resume, cover letter, and writing samples to: email@example.com. Please include “Copywriter” in the subject line.